Sunday, January 11, 2009

First Daffodils in Great Falls, Virginia


Early daffodils, originally uploaded by larryhuffman.

Looks like they grow them healthy, good-lookin', and very early in Virginia, judging by this January 4, 2009 photo. We wrote to the photographer Larry Huffman to ask for details: Yep they're in Great Falls, Va. I don't know the variety, but I get them from White Flower Farm in CT, here is the product page (http://bit.ly/rcdO). These are bred for the south apparently. I actually saw some of them coming up in late November, they are on a southern slope and whenever the ground warms up I get some that pop up. I get blooms in early to mid-March and they usually last into late May but the heat kills them pretty quick. I leave the leaves up until late June even though they flop over; I've read that's when they take up nutrients for the following year.

I'm adding a hundred or so every other year to the woods behind my house. I'll post some pics later this year when they come it.

1 comment:

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Larry, Fun to see these, and looking forward to your spring photos! And don't do anything to the leaves at any time. They aren't so pretty later, but they are important. White Flower Farms often suggests planting daylilies with daffodils, partly to cover the dying daffodil foliage, but that might not look right if you have a woodland.